My all time favourite TV series is M*A*S*H, a comedy/drama centred around the doctors and nurses of the 4077th M*A*S*H unit during the Korean War. The series was so popular that it outlasted the duration of the 3 year war, spanning 11 seasons and 251 episodes.

The strong characterisation and story lines presented thought provoking themes that provide an ideal platform for lessons on life and leadership. Whether you are a fan of the show or not, I'm sure you will connect with my leadership insights from M*A*S*H.

LEADING FROM THE TRENCHES features bite-sized, candid insights that speak into the gritty space of leadership through the eyes of a fellow leader seeking to "lead with all diligence" (Romans 12:8).

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beware Of Impostors

Episode 18:  Dear Dad…Again



Hawkeye:      Be off the base in 24 hours, and never…repeat: 
              never touch a patient again without a licence.   
              And contact me the minute you get one.  You’re a 
              damn good surgeon.
Capt Casey:   On the level?
Hawkeye:     Next to you, Frank Burns is an alterations lady.  I 
             gotta ask you one question.
Capt Casey:  “Why?”  Well, I’ve passed myself off as a teacher, 
             a lawyer, an engineer.  I can do it all.  I just    
             never had the patience to go through it by the 
             numbers.  I guess I never had the drive to get 
             the diploma, the permit, whatever.
Hawkeye:     Try it once.  You’ll be great Casey.


Hawkeye writes another letter home to his dad describing the boredom experience during the lull in the war.  A new doctor arrives in camp that turns out to be an impostor, with a history of passing himself off as a doctor, teacher, engineer, lawyer and leaves the 4077 as a chaplain.

In the Bible the Apostle Paul warns Timothy to beware of imposters who are deceiving and being deceived and urges him to continue in what he has become convinced of from sound teachers (2 Timothy 3:13-14).  We live in a world that promotes confusing and conflicting ideologies about life and leadership.  As leaders we must learn how to discern truth and discover principles that are applicable to those we lead.  We must also be able to test what we are being taught and be careful not to blindly follow popular opinion or be bound by political correctness.  I have found reading widely and seeking wisdom from trusted leaders helps me to develop a discerning mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment