My all time favourite TV series is M*A*S*H, a comedy/drama centred around the doctors and nurses of the 4077th M*A*S*H unit during the Korean War. The series was so popular that it outlasted the duration of the 3 year war, spanning 11 seasons and 251 episodes.

The strong characterisation and story lines presented thought provoking themes that provide an ideal platform for lessons on life and leadership. Whether you are a fan of the show or not, I'm sure you will connect with my leadership insights from M*A*S*H.

LEADING FROM THE TRENCHES features bite-sized, candid insights that speak into the gritty space of leadership through the eyes of a fellow leader seeking to "lead with all diligence" (Romans 12:8).

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Competent Leadership

Episode 12:  Dear Dad


Hawkeye:   [writing a letter to his dad] Henry Blake is a good doctor and a pretty good “Joe.”  As a commanding officer, it’s a bit like being on a sinking liner, running to the bridge and finding out the captain is Daffy Duck. But more about old Henry later.”

In a letter to his dad, Hawkeye describes the personalities of the people he works with and their antics amidst everyday camp life during their first Christmas season at the 4077.

If character is the foundation of good leadership, then competency provides the framework around which leadership is built.  A leader’s ability to lead effectively is directly proportional to their commitment to personal growth and leadership development.  At my previous appointment I arrived feeling way out of my depth and unqualified to lead the team I inherited.  I knew that if I had any hope of leading this team, I had to gain the knowledge and develop the skills necessary. According to John Maxwell’s ‘Law of the Lid’, my leadership ability determines my level of effectiveness; therefore, I embarked upon a journey of significant personal growth.  It is the responsibility of every leader to develop the level of competence necessary to effectively lead the people or organization entrusted to their leadership.  Leaders cannot lead where they are not travelling, nor can they teach what they don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment